How to tell if an e-mail is genuine or a phishing email?
- Check for disguised or incorrect links in the email.
- Inspect the email header information to verify whether the sender’s address is legitimate.
- Check if the email is from a company or person you don’t recognise. If the email is coming from someone you regularly communicate with, compare the new message against older ones.
- Does the display name look the same for all emails? Is the email signature the same?
- Look for deceptive domains and spellings in email addresses.
- Watch out for uncommon uses of the email Bcc field.
- Don’t ignore unusual spelling and grammatical errors.
- Ask yourself whether the language seems fishy, pushy or urgent.
- Ask yourself if email attachments are unsolicited or unexpected.
When communicating with you via email enclosing any confidential information, this will be sent to you on a suitably encrypted basis.